Hope and a Home’s mission is to empower low-income families with children in D.C. to create stable homes of their own and to make lasting changes in their lives. Its mandate is to break the cycle of poverty within families through the programs and services it offers. Hope and a Home envisions a Washington, D.C. in which all families are housed, growing stronger, and contributing to the life of their neighborhoods. Hope and a Home was formed as a program under For Love of Children (FLOC) in 1976 and officially incorporated as an independent nonprofit in 2005. Since its founding, Hope and a Home has empowered thousands of children and hundreds of homeless families to achieve stable housing and self-sufficiency.
The Communications and Development Associate will work closely with Executive Director and other staff to support fundraising and other aspects of resource development, and various communications needs.
Although we may consider exceptional candidates without all of the following qualifications, the ideal candidate would have 3+ years’ experience in a fundraising and development or marketing and communications role. Writing skills are paramount. We offer competitive remuneration and a flexible work environment.
Essential Job Functions
- Participate in bi-weekly meetings with consultant Elevate, which include discussions of strategy
- Work with program staff, manage Sales Force database, keep information current
- Manage donor administration activities, including drafting donor reports, donor database entry, updates, invitations, thank you notes, and other materials
- Develop online fundraising strategies, campaigns and calls to action
- Develop and execute a plan and tactics for online mobilization, outreach and small donor fundraising
- Staff the Board fundraising committee and assist with the planning and implementation of annual donor event
- Work with team to develop and execute consistent communication to cultivate and grow donor base
- Implement and monitor metrics and analysis of online fundraising and constituent mobilization campaigns
- Oversee creative production and distribution of regular external emails, develop text and graphics templates, managing interface with our website
- Write and edit newsletters, program brochures, flyers, etc.
- Prepare and/or print presentation media and materials
- Oversee social network profiles including Facebook and Twitter, leading research and populating with relevant content
- BA/BS Degree
- Three years of experience in a professional, preferably non-profit, environment
- Exceptional writing and proofreading skills; experience in developing and organizing proposals for varying audiences
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to help drive projects to completion and multi-task
- Basic image editing skills, familiarity with Adobe Photoshop or similar tools a plus
- Demonstrated analytical and critical thinking skills. Ability to use good judgment, take initiative and make recommendations in resolving problems and provide guidance to staff
- Knowledge of, or experience in, online fundraising, nonprofit advocacy, membership cultivation and marketing is a plus
- Experience with Salesforce software is a plus
Other preferred characteristics
- Eagerness to learn and contribute to a small team
- Creative and compelling storyteller
- Sense of urgency
- Results driven
- Observant and intuitive
- Self-starter, dynamic and able to thrive in an unstructured environment
- Responsive to direction and feedback
- Ability to work independently with a diverse team
As a small, lean organization, all team members are required to take on additional responsibilities as necessary, including administrative tasks, as they arise. An ideal candidate would thrive in a team environment focusing on “getting things done” and supporting the work of others.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in this role and in the work of Hope and a Home to Lynn French, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.