Hope and A Home is seeking engaged, thoughtful Board members to support the work of the organization and help us achieve our ambitious strategic plan. Hope and a Home is a local nonprofit in the District of Columbia with a unique approach and a successful record helping low-income urban families gain stability.
OUR MANDATE is to break the cycle of poverty for qualified families through the programs and services we offer.
OUR MISSION is to empower low-income families with children in D.C. to create stable homes of their own and to make lasting changes in their lives.
OUR VISION is a Washington, D.C. in which all families are housed, growing stronger and contributing to the life of their neighborhoods.
The Board of Directors supports the work of Hope and a Home and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day to day operations are led by Lynn French, Executive Director, the Board-Executive Director relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
- Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as trusted advisors to the Executive Director as she develops and implements Hope and A Home’s strategic plan;
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Hope and A Home for evaluating its impact and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics;
- Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to Board meetings;
- Approving Hope and A Home’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions;
- Being informed of and meeting all legal and fiduciary responsibilities;
- Participating in the annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director as well as determining any salary increases;
- Assisting the Executive Director and Board Chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members;
- Partnering with the Executive Director and other Board Members to ensure that Board resolutions are carried out;
- Consulting with staff on an as-needed basis and based on expertise to support the organization in critical decision-making and strategic-planning efforts;
- Representing Hope and A Home to stakeholders and acting as an ambassador for the organization;
- Ensuring Hope and A Home’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities we serve.
Hope and A Home’s Board Members will consider Hope and A Home a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Hope and A Home can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations and individuals, Hope and A Home expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution commensurate with their capacity.
Hope and A Home’s Board Members serve 3-year terms. There will be 5 board meetings per calendar year. We ask that each Board Member attends all board meetings and the annual event each calendar year.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual passionate about Hope and A Home’s mission. Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in affordable housing, real estate development, education, business, government, development/philanthropy, and/or the nonprofit sector. Their accomplishments will allow them to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in affordable housing, education, business, government, development/philanthropy, and/or the nonprofit sector;
- A genuine interest in the mission of Hope and A Home and an understanding of its programmatic and objectives;
- Sufficient time to fulfill Board Member obligations, including regular attendance at Board and committee meetings;
- Diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals;
- The ability to connect Hope and A Home to opportunities and resources, including introductions to potential partners, funders, etc.;
- The contribution of professional or educational expertise distinct from, but complementary to, that of current board members;
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Hope and A Home’s beneficiaries;
- A strong belief in the power of our program to create social change.
- Service on Hope and A Home’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and your resume by August 30, 2019 to Julia Howell Barros at firstname.lastname@example.org.